Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The BIG Catch

Ellie helped me "bring it in"

We arrived at our mission's conference on Friday afternoon. The kids are more than thrilled to get to ride horses, swim, hang out with their friends, VBS and FISH.

Anabel wanted to go fishing so bad, so I went along with her and helped bait the hook and hold the pole (she was too scared). Finally after lots of whining about no fish taking our bait, she was convinced she didn't have the gift for fishing.

Not to be discouraged, I stuck it out and in less than 5 minutes had my CATCH! The hotel took it up to the restaurant to be fried for supper. My first fish ever. What excitement!

Recently a friend (who REALLY likes to go fishing) wrote asking what KIND of fish it was. I am pretty dumb when it comes to what KIND of fish...silly me...I thought it was a FISH fish. After asking around I found out that it was probably a "tilapia" of which I had no idea what the English translation would be for that. This is what he discovered on this particular "brand" of fish...

After doing a little internet research on your fish I think what you caught might be a "tilapia". Tilapias are actually native to Africa but have been exported to many other places in the world including Brazil. They are sometimes raised on fish farms for food.

And now here is something I found that is really interesting about this fish. It is also known as "St. Peter's Fish" and is said to be the type of fish that St. Peter caught when Jesus ordered him to go to the sea and cast out a hook and take the first fish he caught and look in the mouth of the fish for money with which St. Peter was to go and pay Jesus's and St.Peter's taxes with. The Bible reference is Matthew 17:27.


Now, if I had known that I could have payed my taxes by catching these guys, I would have been out there all night!!!
Poor fishy...

No comments: