THE TRAIN heading our way as it was taking off from Sheldon, IA . It had just a 15 minute stop, and was mobbed the entire time by anyone who could possibly get up close for a better look. It isn't too often that you get to see the "world's largest" of anything, but this past week we got a tip (thanks Dad!) that there was a "must see" just 20 miles away. It was scheduled to be passing through Sheldon, IA at noon. My sister, Deb, packed the picnic lunch and we ran off to see this incredible sight...the World's Largest Operating Steam Engine.

The cousins with the engine in the background.
Union Pacific's "Challenger" No. 3985, built in 1943, is an articulated locomotive with a "hinged" frame that allows it to negotiate curves. It is 122 feet long, weighs more than 1 million pounds, has 6-foot diameter drive wheels and can reach a top speed of 70 miles per hour. No. 3985 was built for fast freight service. It was retired in 1959, but UP employee volunteers restored it to running condition in 1981 for special service.
information taken from: http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2008/0919_railfest-onboard.shtml
Finally, my very own smashed penny!
As a kid I had always heard of people putting a penny on the track to have it smashed flat by a train. I can't tell you how much I have always wanted to do that. When I saw people placing their hard earned pennies on the track, I could hardly pull one out of my pocket fast enough. After all, I have waited 40 years to have one!


1 comment:
Lori, aproveitei a rapida entrada na net para visitar o seu blog também. Parabéns pela linda colcha de fuxico que vocês fizeram.
Quando li em um post anterior sobre a sopa de tomate, me deu uma saudade imensa da sopa te tomate que nós sempre tomávamos no Olive Garden. É uma sopa bem cremosa,uma delícia. Você sabe como prepará-la? Se tiver a receita, depois me passe por favor.
Um abraço muito apertado e até breve.
Nívea Morales.
Post a Comment