I have never voted. And it isn't my fault, either. The first election that I could have voted in after turning 18, I was registered and ready to vote in Nebraska, but got called away to my grandma's funeral in Iowa on election day. Every election since I have been in Brazil. Once my absentee ballot got lost in the mail and the other times I haven't been able to sign on the dotted line verifying that everything is true for some reason (usually a resident requirement).
One day in June (while we were in the US) I got my Nebraska drivers license. At the time I was asked if I wanted to be an organ doner AND register to vote. Uhu, you betcha! The day before I left for Brazil, I signed up via email to get my absentee ballot sent to me. Frankly, I really didn't expect to see it, considering all my past failures to make good on my duty as a voting citizen. Well, what do you know...IT CAME! I filled it out and popped it in the mail the very next day. When I asked about the current speed of the Brazilian postal system, the guy said it will take 15 days. Hmmm...might not make it...then again, if HE wants it to get there in time, it will.
Side note: While we were traveling in the US, there was an election in Brazil. Every Brazilian is REQUIRED to vote. If you don't, you get a stiff fine, besides suffer many other unpleasant consequences. Not pretty. So, Ken has to go "justify" his absence and prove that he really was out of the country, thus unable to vote.
So who do you think I voted for? I'll leave that to your imagination!
Oh, now this tops all...check it out if you get a chance.
http://www.newsmax.com/us/odd_long_distance_vote/2008/11/01/146676.html
4 comments:
Wow! Who knew it would be THAT hard to vote. Glad you got it in the mail. Way to go. ~Deb
Wow! Who knew it would be THAT hard to vote. Glad you got it in the mail. Way to go. ~Deb
Congratulations . . .
Should have registered to vote in Waconia so you could vote for someone you know. ;)
Jim
Post a Comment