Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Happy 15th Jessica!

Jessica and the poster (made by Uncle Ron and Aunt Ranelle) of pictures of her first 15 years.

In Brazil the 15th birthday is a landmark for girls. Many celebrate with super elaborate parties that look more like a wedding than a teenager's birthday party.

We've always celebrated birthdays with just the family, but since Jessica lives in Fortaleza now and doesn't get to see the people she has grown up and gone to school with much any more, we decided to throw a party in her honor...including inviting the church family, her old classmates, teachers from school and conservatory friends. Over 100 came and enjoyed music courtesy of our string ensemble (that Jessica and I have played in for over 3 years), a meal prepared by friends, and two short "challenges" for Jessica's life given by two of our ALPHA teachers.

An electronic version of the invitation.

Never having made a cake this big (3 very large sheet cakes with sweetened condensed milk and coconut filling) I was a little overwhelmed. It took two of us to carry it! The candle never did light (too windy outside!) so maybe I can re-use it when Alicia's turn comes along.


Hair, dress and makeup...what else could a girl ask for?


And finally all of us together. Happy Birthday Jessica!

5 comments:

Jonathan Johnson said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing-what a special time! Love, Denielle

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. You are making some of us feel really old Jessica. We can remember when you were born. My how time flies! :)

Kim said...

Congratulations Jessica! It looks like it was a fabulous party (the cake looks AMAZING). We are hoping for a stop in Omaha when you are all back in the States soon.

Debby said...

Jessica, you look just beautiful, and the cake looks delicious!!! Lori, I'll take the dress, cake, and a plane ticket down there to celebrate my 35th??!! (I'm not asking for much, am I!) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Happy birthday Jessica! You look just beautiful...

My daughter turns 16 in a month and will be driving soon after...oh my...