Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Proclamation of the Republic

How's your history? I never really appreciated it till I was all grown up. Now I can't seem to get enough of it.

Today is November 15th, a national holiday in Brazil. It marks the end of Brazil's monarchy and the beginning of a republican form of government. Brazil is the only country in the "new world" whose monarch left the "old world" and set up house in the "colony". (Photo: Emperor Dom Pedro II of Brazil, 1873)
Actually, the royal family was escaping anihalation. Napoleon was on the move and they believed he was moving in their direction. Better to get out of the way than to face the music.
***************************
I think it is quite interesting that at about the same time the Portuguese royals were on the run, Napoleon needed a little extra cash to keep his army supplied. Thus, he sold off France's territory in the "new world" (to be known by future generations as the Louisiana Purchase).

In case you are dying to know more, check it out on...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil

So what are we doing on such a historic day? Well, there is no school...YIPEE! Ken worked in the office and took a nap. I defrosted the freezer and helped Anabel clean up her play corner (which was threatening to take over the entire house!). Jessica had a friend over. They swam, made cookies, cleaned up the kitchen, played games and practiced their instruments.

Jessica and Sara practicing for ALPHA's recital end of November


November is also the month that our acacia tree is in full bloom. The air was perfectly still while I sat outside for my devotions. The blossoms really perfumed the air. Wish you could have been here to enjoy it, too.

ACACIA tree, or otherwise known here in Brazil as "gold rain"

2 comments:

Phil said...

Some call it the Louisania purchase but some also call it home.

Anonymous said...

Why is Ken the only one who got a nap :)??