Friday, November 21, 2008

Living Tiny

The "living/dining" room...table is just off to the left

Before leaving for the States this past June, we had decided, for various reasons, that it was time to sell our house. It has been a great place and has been very USED: retreats, seminars, church/Sunday school, LOTS of company, and what we have called home for the last 16 years.

Girls' bedroom partitioned off with a curtain from the "living/dining" room.

Even though our house isn't sold yet, because we are still making improvements on it, we have moved to the upstairs apartment in Ken's parents' house. It has been nice to not have to deal with so much STUFF and to downsize using what we really only NEED.
Kitchen...the microwave model is a "piccolo" :)
I realized that I could look at "living tiny" as limiting or as freeing. Having only one bathroom means there is only one toilet to clean...a small living room means our family sits closer to each other and talks more, plays more, interacts more...having fewer clothes in the drawer makes it easier to keep it organized...less stuff in the refrigerator means I KNOW what is in there... I think I choose the freedom that downsizing brings.

4 comments:

Tesa said...

I love this. I am currently attempting to purge lots of stuff that we don't "need". It's hard to detatch from things, but I want that freedom that simplicity brings! Great job on downsizing. I hope you love it more every day!

Anonymous said...

Cool, tnkx for the picz!!
Love you all, :)

Jessica

Samantha said...

Hey! its where me, Sheila and Beth stayed! :) I miss you guys!

loavesandfishes said...

Last year we moved out into a tiny little apartment with only one bedroom and one bathroom, etc. It was GREAT for child training. Since we were literally on top of our children all day, we were on top of our child training.

When we moved back into our house, I was actually a little bit sad. I kinda missed our kids.