Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Caffeine Free Life

I was just recently informed that I am to keep anything with caffeine at an arms length. Not something I was very excited to hear. This is coffee country. Loads of tiny little cups of hot, strong, sweet, black liquid is poured out every day. There is a stainless steal pump thermos that sits on the counter at our house with a tray of little cups by it all the time. Never know when someone might stop by! When I tell people that I can't drink regular coffee any more, their eyes get as big as saucers. After they recover from the shock of this new development, a big fat "WHY?" falls from their lips.

Over the last 6 years I have had increasing problems with migraines, so this is an effort to see if we can get them a little more under control. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but then the last migraine crisis I had was more than I want to go through again, so we will give it a go.

Never having had a dietary restriction (unless self-imposed), it has come as kind of an unexpected challenge. Not one that I can't handle, though. The store stocks decaff (a wee consolation), even though I have never actually met anyone who buys it (meaning that the only place I will be able to drink it is at home). And when I think of people with food alergies, I don't have much to complain about.

That was the bad news.

The good news is that I can still have chocolate (cause there is hardly any caffeine in it to make a difference)!!! Splurg!!!


To see a site (in English!) advertising the brand of coffee packaged in our state, visit...
http://www.cafesantaclara.com.br/


To read all about the good stuff...
wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee

To read all about the bad stuff...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

2 comments:

Eric Townsend said...

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to partake of that sweet nectar anymore, but I can understand your desire to do without migraines. I wish you the best of luck with that, and think that chocolate will be a sweeter substitue.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I've ordered plenty of this stuff off the internet since I visited you. I LOVE it!!