At least we didn't BLOW it!This July, our family + Ken's folks and our school secretary, drove almost 6000 miles round trip to the Everglades of Brazil. It was quite an experience to say the least. We actually crossed over the boarder into Bolivia for several hours.
Ken spent months planning this trip. Aside from making reservations, buying maps, installing Lazy-Boys in the back of the van (no joke), calling friends to see on the way, and finalizing the itinerary, he decided to buy two new tires. One of the tires was put on the spare rim and the other got stored under one of the bench seats in the van...just in case.
After reaching the point farthest from MossorĂ³, we started our week long treck back to the north-east. That's when it happened. A deafening noise came from the right, rear of the vehicle. Sure enough, it was time. Ken's preparedness had paid off. Time to put on a NEW tire.
Just in case you think this very thing might ever happen to you, I thought it might be helpful to share my instructions on how to change a tire when you are 3000 miles away from home. Feel free to even print it to save in your car so you, too, will know what to do.
Step 1: Act very dramatic for the camera as 8 people's luggage is removed from the back of the van so the spare tire can be removed.
Step 2: Ask yourself, "Is this for real?" Add other comments like, "This is making me hungry. Hope I don't have to use the bathroom anytime soon."
Step 3: Have the big strong men traveling with you jack up the car and remove the old tire.
Step 4: While the new tire is being installed on the car, add a little more drama for effect.
Step 5: Finally, find a truck stop (at 10 p.m. on a Sunday) that will put the other NEW tire (stored under the bench for such a time as this) onto the spare rim. None of those fancy pneumatic tire changin' machines here, ...flex those muscles!
4 comments:
Just happened to check for an update today and saw that you had one. We just bought 4 new tires on our van Saturday to avoid this situation before we travel this weekend. Glad to see the entire team pitch in and get that tire changed although with help like that ...
Gil
Love it! (I really thought I was going to get real instructions about how to change a tire!!! I forgot who was posting this!!! Crazy sister! I love you!)
Very clever!
Yay! A blog post! I'm so excited - what a great idea to post something to your blog!
jayme
Post a Comment