Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lake Serene

Once in 5 years we manage to take one of those "hikes to remember". Dale and Luke Flickinger led us on this particularly memorable trip in the Cascades.

These guys are the ones with all the gear, "know how", guide books, experience, muscles, etc. The rest of us managed to carry our little fanny packs and a few bottles of water while they hauled in their big backpacks full of food, dry clothing (it was raining a wee bit), tarp, binoculars, camera, hammocks, toilet paper, first-aid kit, towels and the travel pillow that Alicia managed to sneak into Dale's pack. Go figure.

Here are just a few of the incredible highlights that only our awesome CREATOR could dream up making us all the richer (and stiffer) for having experienced.



I think this must be Narnia.


Yep, definitely Narnia.


Water falls being fed by melting ice and snow...FABULOUS!!!



No, we are not posing. This is a "well-deserved" rest. We figured that trees this size would manage to hold us up just fine.


Did I mention the waterfalls???


THIS is Lake Serene. Can you imagine being the first one to ever find this place?




I know, I know...we are looking terribly romantic in this picture...truth is I am actually freezing to death and Ken is so pooped that he can't stand up straight anymore. And this was BEFORE we made our way back down! :)

An information board at the trail head gave this description of the hike up to Lake Serene.
distance: 3.6 miles ONE way
switchbacks: 23
level of difficulty: STRENUOUS

I can't say how grateful I was that I only read the info board AFTER we made it down...it is true...ignorance is bliss!



Anabel made it the WHOLE way! I was terribly impressed. The Grand Prize for climbing all the way up was...SNOW!!

4 comments:

Beanball said...

I have avoided that particular hike.....heard it is very steep! Congratulations on the accomplishment! Beautiful pictures! When you coming for dinner? Shirley

jani said...

Mmm... beautiful photos. I can smell it.

Jen said...

BEAUTIMOUS photos, Lori! Thanks for sharing the wonder of the place with all of us...and for persevering in order to do it :)! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I remember that hike. :) During the summer we went on several. I loved the waterfall you were treated with halfway there - it was so beautiful!