Thursday, December 14, 2006

These are a few of my favorite things...

I just watched "The Sound of Music" with my Advanced English class. Wanted my kids to watch something in English (using the English subtitles is a big plus), has historical significance and have them exposed to a new music form (Roger's and Hammerstein musicals aren't exactly a part of Brazilian music culture). Managed to kill a flock of birds with one stone.

Watching "The Sound of Music" made me think of "a few of my favorite things." Actually, a few of my favorite pictures. So, step into my exclusive art gallery (you won't find any of these at the Smithsonian) and take a peek at what we have done or seen over the last few years.


+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+


July 2005: Anderson and Stucky kids got 'stuck' with each other for a week and managed to work together on this banner. Micah, the only boy in the bunch, was the master sewer of the crew. :)


I always thought this looked like something from a National Geographic magazine...picture was taken at a kids' club in the home of one of our church people. Picture title: "Motionless Crayons in Motion Filled Room".


Church work day, May 1st 2006: Someone had to keep the kids busy while the rest of us worked. :)

Vacation 2004: Stopping to take a picture with a bunch of beach soccer players. What kind of wierd tourons were we, anyway, to ask these guys to stop their game so we could get a picture with them?




Vacation 2006: A "STOP" sign in the middle of "no-where" Ceará, Brazil. By the way, all those people were with us on vacation.





Vacation 2006: I don't get the credit for this one. Cristina, the one in the blue shirt in the previous picture, took this while Ken and I were off looking for an internet café.

Vacation 2004: I was too cheap to buy one, but did bring home the picture...



Vacation 2004: Two heads in a coconut...Leila and Andrew at a public telephone in Salvador, Bahia.


Vacation 2004: Ken get's the credit for this one. I had an artist friend of mine recreate this in a painting...she took out the closed umbrellas in the foreground but left the rest. It hangs in our office to remind us of one of the best vacations we have ever taken.


Vacation 2004: The Paraguaçu River in the heart of Bahia...very large boulders and a few tourons scattered in between.


Attack of the Snake Skin! That snaked lived at least one state over from ours (we hope he didn't live any closer than that...don't want any of his cousins coming over for a visit)

Vacation 2006: Seven Cities National Park in Piauí, two states north of us...Ken standing at the bottom of the rock formation that very closely resembles the outline of Brazil.

Title of picture: "Brazil is SOOO Big" (2% larger than continental US to be exact)



+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

3 comments:

Eric Townsend said...

looks like a lot of beautiful memories captured in those pictures

Eric Townsend said...

It looks like a lot of beautiful memories captured in those pictures

jani said...

I love favorite photos. Sometime I'm going to publish my own.... When I have the ability to transfer a photo to another spot without someone holding my hand. :)